As a homeowner, it's important to be aware of the common fire hazards in your home and take preventative measures to protect your property and loved ones. At Fast Affordable Restoration, we have seen firsthand the devastating effects that fires can have on homes and families. In this article, we will discuss the 7 most common causes of residential fires and give tips on how to prevent them.
Cooking equipment is the leading cause of residential fires. Most of these fires start on the stove or in the oven, usually due to food left unattended. To avoid cooking fires, ensure that you are present, nearby at all times, and keep flammable materials away from the stove.
Heating equipment such as space heaters and fireplaces can also cause residential fires. Ensure that all heating equipment is installed and maintained properly, and keep flammable materials at least three feet away from the heat source. If you are leaving the room or your home, ensure that the heater is off or the fire is out before you go.
Electrical equipment such as faulty wiring, overloaded outlets, and frayed cords can cause electrical fires. Avoid overloading outlets, regularly inspect electrical cords and replace any that are frayed, and hire a professional electrician to inspect your home's wiring to prevent a fire from starting.
Smoking is another common cause of fires in the home. If you smoke, avoid smoking in bed or when drowsy, and always use a sturdy ashtray. Never smoke near flammable materials or gasoline.
*Hint: If you choose to smoke inside your home, you are likely causing smoke damage. To deal with smoke damage remediation, or nicotine damage on your walls, contact the experts at Fast Affordable Restoration.*
Candles are a popular decoration in many homes, but they can also cause fires. Always keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn, and never leave them unattended. Tea lights and other candles that are not in protective containers can get out of control quickly, so if you feel the need to light candles, try to only use ones that come in glass containers.
Flammable liquids such as gasoline, propane, and solvents should always be stored in a safe place away from heat sources and flames. Only use these liquids outdoors, and keep them away from children.
Children playing with fire is a common cause of residential fires. Educate your children about the dangers of fire, and keep matches and lighters out of their reach. Candles should be placed somewhere they won’t knock them over, and protective coverings on the temperature knobs on your stove can keep kids from causing accidental fires, too.
Residential fires happen, but the more you know, the easier it is to avoid them. Fast Affordable Restoration recommends following the tips outlined in this article, and always having a fire escape plan in place. If you do experience a fire, contact Fast and Affordable Restoration for your fire remediation needs.
Certified experts in repair, mitigation, remediation of water, mold, fire, and smoke damage.
CSLB# 96068210620 Treena St #230, San Diego, CA 921311134 D St Suite B, Ramona, CA 92065845 15th St, Ste 325, San Diego, CA 92101